Monday, October 20, 2008

Weekday distractions: Part 2

Like I mentioned in part one, on Tuesday night I was distracted and landed up at the Old Gaol. But I wasn’t the only one being distracted. The Gaol is the type of place where you meet new people very quickly and easily. So it wasn’t long before I was chatting to a married man, who informed me that he had a 12-day-old daughter, and also to a funky, sexy female British student who happens to be engaged. To cut a long story short at some point during the night, married man told sexy girl that if he wasn’t married and she wasn’t engaged then he would be kissing her... It is this type of comment that makes my blood boil and has contributed to the disillusionment and man-hate that I am already feeling at the moment. What happened to the days when marriage was a sacred union? Or am I just being old-fashioned? Although I am not particularly religious, I still believe that if you get married (esp. In a church), you are not only making a promise to your new spouse, but also to God. Although not everyone believes in this it is still something that should be taken into consideration otherwise what on earth is the point on getting married in the first place??? I am not against a married person going out and having fun either, but once you are married there are certain ways of behaving that become inappropriate. Once again I question myself and ask if am I just reinforcing these conventions of society or am I right in believing that a promise is something that should be respected and honoured? These are distractions that could cost you your marriage and it could cost a 12-day-old little girl the privilege of growing up in an unbroken family.

No comments: