Thursday, October 23, 2008

Experiences. Stories. First Year.: Oh shame, you went to a private school.

Experiences. Stories. First Year.: Oh shame, you went to a private school.: I agree with your argument that the being from a private school can often be detrimental. As a matriculant from Crawford College, I’ve had my fair share of ‘rich girl’ and ‘snob’ comments. I often feel uncomfortable admitting to being from Crawford. But I disagree with you when you say that you aren’t sure what your parents paid for. I know that the education I received was above par for most people. And I’m grateful for the lengths that Crawford went to, to ensure the high standard of Matric results that I received. These included early morning tutorials and a week of winter school where we corrected problems from the June exams. I know that often, the private school category works against us like in the JMS2 application but I know that the education I received has ensured that I am coping academically and that the jump from Matric to University has been that small compared to others. So yes, the system isn’t fair. But the benefits of my private school education have ensured that I am more than ready for second and third year and can move beyond the system.

No comments: