Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I never knew just what it was about this old Coffee Shop I love so much


Today when it was spitting rain for the entire day, all I wanted was to sit in a coffee shop akin to Central Perk in Friends. Coffee shops epitomise what it means to be a student; a place for intellectual conversations surrounded by books and artistic people. Forget drinks at the Rat or dancing at Union! Maybe I’ve been influenced by Friends or by the days when the Impressionist Artists gathered in French café’s to talk about art, politics and literature. Normally, I get my caffeine fix from Homeground Cafe (which serves Joburg standard coffee but at Joburg prices). But by the time I got to Homeground it was closed. This led me to try out Reddits, this tiny café down New Street. As I stepped out of the rain, I was greeted by a warm fire and friendly smiles. Reddits is both a café and bookshop. Surrounded by books and enjoying a steaming hot cappuccino epitomised my vision of varsity. Even better are the prices of drinks and food with a cappuccino only costing R10. Reddits has a book room, upstairs café and garden area. If you’re anything like me and value a good cappuccino, tranquil atmosphere and a little intellectual stimulation you’ll love Reddits.

No comments: