Thursday, October 23, 2008

Out of your SPACE: Homosexuality at Rhodes

Out of your SPACE: Homosexuality at Rhodes

Firstly I would like to congratulate you for having the courage to post this opinion on your blog. It is obviously a topic that you feel deeply about or you just felt like stirring the pot knowing that your post would not go down well. I personally thought that your argument lacked authority and was filled with assumptions which challenged your credibility. I was left with many absurd questions like how do ‘innocent’ people become ‘victims’ of gay/lesbians? If you were referring to the fact that a straight person might receive unwanted attention from a gay/lesbian then I would not necessarily consider that a ‘victim’ situation. Never mind the use of the terms ‘innocent’ and ‘victim’ which I find rather offensive. I can not believe that someone living in South Africa could be so anti-tolerant of people’s cultures and personal choices, as that is how you came across. The fact that you think that Rhodes and senior students have “corrupted a lot of first years” into becoming gay is ridiculous and as an argument has no legs to stand on.
If your intention was to cause a stir well you definitely succeeded but I’m afraid you will find that you failed to gain any support for your argument.

No comments: