Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Remember the poor - it costs nothing

They say that the gap between rich and poor in South Africa is largest in the world. And as a resident of Grahamstown where you can't escape the poverty, I have to agree. Our Gini coefficient is 57.8 which is one of the highest levels of inequality. And again in Grahamstown, the two worlds couldn't be further apart. As I walk down from the clock tower, I look directly into the township. There's no escaping it. At least in Johannesburg I can conveniently roll up my window and not have to deal with the impoverished. But I have to ask the question, is the right response? Yes, here in Grahamstown I can't give money to every beggar on the street but still, aren't we moving beyond our humanity when we refuse to acknowledge the needy?

I know that I as a privileged, private school girl from the northern suburbs of Johannesburg, I have no right to lecture people on inequality. But I can share my experience of volunteering at St Mary's after school centre which has become one of the most rewarding experiences. In my first semester, I found myself becoming incredibly self centred and disillusioned with Grahamstown. I really existed in the Rhodes bubble where the beggars on the street where a major annoyance in my tranquil world. But the more I lost my perspective on being part of the entire Grahamstown community, the more I felt uncomfortable and guilty. I knew that I wasn't just living in Rhodes but rather in Grahamstown and Grahamstown's problems were my problems.

So I started to volunteer at St Mary's working with children who come from the township. Every Friday afternoon for an hour I work with six girls who always give me a reason to smile. With them I can see the effects of poverty like the inferior education that they receive which stunts their academic development. But these kids aren't stupid. Far from it. They just haven't been exposed to exercises that stimulate them. So we try to expose them to things that they lack. Like last week Friday, we sat and made beaded necklaces and bracelets. Supporting St Mary's has made me realise that even though the poverty situation seems dire, we as students can rally around organisations that really are making a difference. After all if we aren't here to help our fellow man, then why the hell are we here??
http://blogactionday.org/js/d295c7f61bb164d295cf696edfdcfbf373f641f2

No comments: