Friday, October 17, 2008

Academic Freedom?

There is the common misconception that academics at Rhodes University promote academic freedom. Of course they do, it sounds good and they punt it in their lectures. We are encouraged to create our own arguments and take a strong stand on our views. Isn’t this great I first thought! But the reality is something quite different and first year students, specifically BA students suffer under a system which suppresses academic freedom. You find yourself having to choose between either making a stand and promoting your own arguments or getting a first. Getting a first involves, as I eventually discovered, providing a strong argument but using the viewpoint of your lecturer or tutor.

Academic freedom is the freedom of students and academics to enquire openly and to express their arguments without being targeted by anyone to whom these views may be inconvenient (i.e. political groups or other authorities.) An article by the Council of Higher Education on academic freedom says that “Institutional autonomy could in the end empower the institutional bureaucrat to such an extent that the freedom of individual academics could be imperilled.”

Last week I wrote and essay about a play called Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett, for English 1. As much as I would have loved to write 600 words on exactly what I felt the play was about I knew that my tutor would not agree with my views and I would get marked down. So I hauled out my lecture notes and regurgitated everything that my lecturer had said on the topic. Needless to say I got my first, but was not at all proud of the fact that it had entailed me using someone else’s opinion rather than my own.

When I confronted my English tutor about my feelings he brushed them off saying that as long as we think critically we will do well. Thinking critically is all fine and well, but it is our lecturer’s or tutor’s thinking that seems to count and as long as we write that down religiously we are seen as critical thinkers.

First year BJourn student Caeri Dunnell agrees: “I certainly think we are encouraged to believe in specific ways and I do think that if we went against these ideologies that we are being taught you wouldn’t get the marks for it. For example, our tutor never lets us disagree with her in tuts and therefore we don’t contradict her view in essays because we realize we will loose out.”

Drama is another subject that restricts our creative academic freedom. When people hear that I take drama as a subject they think it’s wonderful “because I am able to express myself.” But even drama at Rhodes brainwashes its students into performing in a certain way and using styles that are liked by “those who mark.” Rhodes Drama department has a very specific and distinct taste and as soon as one breaks that mould, or uses styles that are looked down upon by the department, you are immediately at a disadvantage. You would not have thought this to be the case with a subject like drama.

In the light of this is university really just one big scam to brainwash us? Bring your children to get an education, hoorah! Meanwhile we are being taught how to use someone else’s ideas as our own. We are being brainwashed into abiding by certain conventions and being educated to believe in ideologies unquestioningly.

The above might not hold true for the other faculties and other years at Rhodes, but it certainly seems to hold true for the first year Humanities students. Whether or not this will change in second year I don’t know. But I continue to ask myself should I be aiming for that first or should I be aiming for complete academic freedom even if that means I don’t achieve as well.

2 comments:

truthaboutlies101 said...

This is one of those subjects you think about whilst writing that Politics essay due on Friday. “We’re teaching you to be creative, open-minded intellectual and critical thinking students of the 21st Century” is what they (the lecturers) tell you. Those who’ve dared to try it have either failed dismally or become an inspiration to us all. I can tell that you’ve obviously had experiences whereby you find out that writing your own opinion really would be detrimental to your mark.

There are however some lecturers who mean what they say and are teaching you to be critical thinkers and develop your own arguments on the other hand, there are those who would no doubt give you 48.5%. I know of a guy who in my opinion is a living legend. He was given the topic “What is courage?” the essay was out of 100 marks, after an hour of he handed his essay in. The page was blank except for one line at the top of the page which read “This is courage”. He walked away with 100%.

We attend lectures, and talks which tell us about and promote academic freedom but does this concept really exist? Is it not just something unique to freedom fighters to get us (the students) where we are today. Although it is also worth mentioning that the academic freedom we speak of and that which they fought for long ago is fairly different in that whereas they fought for rights to be accepted into academic institutions we want to secure our place and be able to express our true opinions. Really thought provoking piece!
Lotsa Love

Niki said...

I strongly disagree with your opinion on academic freedom in university. You believe that to receive a first for an essay, one has to adhere to the opinions of your lecturer or tutor. In my opinion, one needs to adhere to much of what the lecturer says because they have much greater knowledge on the subject than you do. Furthermore, we are all entitled to our own opinion on a topic, but who are we to criticise the lecturer’s information because most of it comes from reading books written by experts on the topic. It also sounds like Caeri Dunnell has a Nazi English tutor because both my English tutors allow their classes to freely express their views and ideas about the novels we discuss. I also believe that university makes us aware of ideologies in society rather than brainwashing us into believing them. It is ridiculous to think that we can write an entire 1500 word essay based on our own opinions, without any external sources. As of yet, we do not have the authority or academic experience to make our own claims. We first have to learn from those that have had decades of experience.