Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Existential crisis no longer

So I've just gotten back from the Fourth Year TV students' year works and I'm so inspired. As a budding TV journalist myself, I was floored at the level of professionalism, insight, depth and empathy that their documentary's showed. So often Journalism is charcterised by short tempered journalists and even shorter deadlines. But these documentaries really show what journalism is about; people's stories. I've found that, especially in writing for a news section of a paper, I tend to get so disconnected from the actual stories in focusing on the facts and not the impact on people. In pairing music, film and photos, stories that newspapers cover so often move past cliches into living, breathing media that connect with the viewer. Tonight also confirmed my second major, Sociology. In whatever arena of Journalism I go into I know that I want to tell people's stories. So Sociology makes sense. I guess I'm just going to have to suffer through terrible lecturers to achieve the final goal. Honestly, this year has been one big existential crisis with my constant questioning of whether my degree is right for me etc. The Journalism Department go out of their way to make it tough; what with their constant reminder that only 120 get into Second year. But like a very wise friend explained to me through the metaphor of shoes; "You bought them because you liked them. You just have to wear them in." Thanks Cands for both reminding me of my shoe fetish and why I'm at Rhodes.
Concluding this rant, I'm more motivated than ever to stick through my degree and wear it in. This time in 3 years, my documentary will be showing at the Roxbury.
xxx

No comments: