Friday, September 26, 2008

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

Dear Friend
I can’t believe I’m almost done with my first year at varsity and that you’re almost finished matric. Scary how time flies but then again thanks to the work load and the recurring late nights (and no it’s not always due to partying) I’m actually glad this year’s almost over! I can’t wait to see my family and have a good home cooked meal again. The whole “surprise” factor about the food in the dining hall is starting to wear really thin and I’m beginning to worry about the meat dishes as there seem to be less and less donkey carts around, but at least today I got a good plate of food as everything was covered in a thick sauce so I couldn’t see what I was eating.
Anyway, besides developing my immune system, my driving lessons are going well thanks. I haven’t crashed, had a fit of road rage or mowed anyone down which is saying quite a lot for a female driver from Joburg don’t you think? My instructor is a young guy who reminds me of The Grinch out of a Dr Seuss novel but despite being in need of a shave and maybe a haircut, he’s pleasant and confident I’ll pass my drivers. It’s a lot easier taking driving lessons in Grahamstown than in Joburg although the rate of knocking over a pedestrian is rather high at the moment thanks to the R10 draught specials at the local pub every week.
The prices for driving lessons are quiet heavy for a student budget but if you ask your mobile ATM aka your dad I’m sure it won’t be a problem. Good luck for the upcoming matric exams and I look forward to seeing you next year.
Lots of love and hugs
Alex
x(“,)x
P.S. Maths is rather challenging but if in doubt just say the answer is x as x can equal anything.

2 comments:

Candy said...

Hi Alex
Your letter was highly entertaining and really captured some of the things first year Rhodents go through. Your comments about Residence dining were frighteningly accurate. Although I had my driving lesson experiences in matric, I can totally relate to how you feel, they can be quite daunting, especially in a student town where pedestrians think they are invincible. Your letter differs from mine in that I focussed more on the subject of leaving home and getting used to the independence of University, but I think the essence of our letters are the same, and that is to make the most of your time at Rhodes.
I really enjoyed your sense of humour and lively writing style.
All the best
Candy
http://unofficialkaif.blogspot.com/

Paddie said...

The good, the bad and the ugly letter to the writer’s younger self (Alex) on the bloggers sight http://talesfromarhodent.blogspot.com/ is a humorous letter, which covers various and similar aspects to my own letter in a balanced way. It mentions the horrors and trauma of driving lessons and the res food which over a long period of time becomes somewhat inedible. It captures the life of a student in a witty and honest way. Advice is given in a similar light hearted way. It’s addressed to a female Johannesburg resident who is similar to my younger self. It discusses issues that are mentioned to the public but with a helpful subjective approach.