Friday, September 26, 2008

The Rhode not taken...

Dear Eager-Beaver-High
Who would have thought those five years of intensive training and planning for the future would land up like this, me in varsity and you locked up someone never to be found again. I remember us like military soldiers making a pact that we would never allow ourselves to be subsided into peer pressure, well look at me now, head low and shoulders shrugged, upper posture gone astray. A sense of fear clouds upon me as I trace back to your innocent and see the dismay in your eyes. I have lost touch with what I used to be and the gap between us matures, varsity has brought about several disruptions to the plans that we had set aside for us, academically as well as socially. Firstly finding friends was definitely not the same, our good mate from home has done a disappearing act on us at Rhodes, from best friends to worse enemies. We hardly exchange words let along glances, the whole ordeal has left me tangled in friendships where my voice became mute, experimenting with intoxicating substances like Stroh Rum which leaves the body all fired up, this seemed better than sitting alone in my bland room, reminiscing over the bubbly days spent together where being with friends was all the fun I needed. You probably reading this and shaking your head in disapproval but I also do not favor the person I have become.
I warn you Eager-Beaver-High, about underestimating Rhodes.It may seem like an isolated island but the people which you encounter can turn it into the fast life of the golden city, Johannesburg, trend careful and look out for that good mate from home. She has shown me another side to life, never depends on a person too much.
I trust you will read this and have an open mind when coming to university in the future and select your friendships wisely. My change is the reason for our drift; you may not agree that this change has brought good into my life, however now I know myself better than before. Soldier sign off
Realistic-Varsity-Beaver

2 comments:

Jas said...

Hey fellow blogger! Just wanted to say, I really like your post. I found that I could relate to it easily, even though I wasn't the one being addressed in the post. The conversational tone is very much like that of my own post too. I can't imagine what it must be like to fight so badly with one of your best friends, especially when you two should be partying it up together! I actually also had something not so good happen to me this year, which I felt the need to warn my past self about. Falling for someone who hasn't fallen for you is a bad idea, as I was unfortunate enough to find out! Gladly it seems we have both learnt our lessons so at least it's not all bad =)
Yours, Jas


http://truthshots.blogspot.com
http://truthshots.blogspot.com/2008/09/oddly-familiar-tune.html (my specific post)

Meez said...

Dear Eager-Beaver-High,
Great post by the way!
I relate to you on so many levels, this year has been extremely mercurial for me, and if I look back at the person I used to be - well, lets just say we're different.

From calling each other and visiting every day, to absolutely NO communication. Its a tough one, I know. Sort of like a part of you decided to leave without saying goodbye. Making new, real friends is not as easy as it seems. As for turning to alcohol, we've all been there, made our mistakes. The main thing is to learn from them and keep your chin up!

Keep on writing,
Yours truly,
meez
xx