Friday, September 26, 2008

Letter to my younger self

Dearest Tarryn

I know that you have had a tough first year at university and at times have seriously wondered if you are doing the right thing and should even be at university. I understand what you are going through and as your much older and therefore wiser self I would like to offer you some advice.

In this the fourth term, especially, I know that you are doubting whether you will be able to keep this all up for three more years. You are thinking “gees that is a long time” and that the end seems so far away. Yes life in Grahamstown is a bubble and yes you will get bored with studying and at times want to drop out to go travel again. I will not lie and tell you that these things will change or that when your sister calls from London or Spain or whichever country she finds herself in that you will not feel jealous that she is out living life while you are stuck swimming round and round the fishbowl that has become your life.

What I can do is say that the end of your studying will come and you will survive. As with everything that has been thrown your way so far you can handle it if you try. In three years time you will be able to reap the rewards of sticking it out and you will be amazed at the things that you will do and places you will see. So when you get disheartened and all you want to do is escape, take a deep breath and remember that it will all be worth it in the end. Trust me I am of course the wiser version of you.

There is an ocean out there waiting to be explored by you and take it from me you don’t want to miss out on your chance.
Wishing you strength and patience.
All my love
x Tarryn

No comments: