Monday, September 29, 2008

Shhh, no noise in the library!

It's ironic how libraries are supposed to embody quietness and order and be the perfect place to study. Yet, currentely our very own library embodies none of the abov characteristics as I found out when researching for my history essay.
As all of you know the Rhodes library has, in the past week ,started undergoing reconstruction to enlarge and modernise it. Which is great since it will be running state of the art technogy would greatly benefit a budding journalism student like myself. However, what I negected to mention is that this constrcution will be continuing for the next 4 years. Which means that I'll probably never get to use it and on the occasion when I need it, it'll be to noisy to study in there.
So this poses the question how on earth are we supposed to cope with the noise from the construction when just walking across the quad is enough to make you cover your ears?
What I discovered today is that the only way to combat modern machinery is with modern-day technology; that is the ipod and the laptop.
The Libaray's cataloguing system happens to be available from every computer provided that you're on the Rhodes website. Great, that means I can find the books I'm looking for while I'm sitting in my res room. But what about collecting them? This is where the ipod comes in handy. Choose the loudest music you have and put it on high. This is enough to block out the hammering and roaring of Caterpillar wheels. This creates the effect that you're in your own secure world away from the inconveniences of building. It always amazes me how we're able to deal with our own loud blarring music while studying but any other noise is the greatest irritation.
Regarding exam studying: I don't have any solutions unless you have a warden like mine who's converting one of our common rooms into a study area in order to provide an alternative solution to the Library problem.
Not sure that this post was of any use but it was fun ranting about the library :)
Sarah

No comments: